SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2016

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2016 13:52:37 -0600
On 03/02/2016 09:12 AM, Howard, Chris wrote:
> Can someone point me to a good cookbook for doing offline updates?
>
> My fuzzy understanding is that I would build an internet-accessible
> SL system, then periodically create my own repository
> and from that cook a DVD and take it to the non-internet-accessible machine
> and run Yum against it.
>
> I need help filling in the steps.
>
> Chris

You've got the right steps.  Using rsync is probably the easiest way to
mirror a repo.  If I recall, examples are on the SL website, and I think
Nico has posted links to the tools he has written as well.

Once you have the repo mirrored, you can burn it to DVD or copy to USB
drive, etc.

On the offline machine, you need to edit or create a new file in
/etc/yum.repos.d/.  It is probably easiest to copy an existing one if
creating a separate, new repo.  Give the repo an alias in the [] and set
the baseurl=file://path/to/repo/.  This is the directory containing the
'repodata' directory.  If you have enabled=1, it will catch it with
standard yum.  Otherwise you will need to pass
--enablerepo=alias-you-used to yum with your commands.