SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2016

Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2016 15:09:30 -0800
On 2016-01-27 13:23, David Sommerseth wrote:
> On 27/01/16 11:13, jdow wrote:
>>>
>> Fascinating. I made a bad "assumption" about network devices. It seems they
>> are created dynamically without any presence in /dev.
>
> IIRC, *BSD provides /dev nodes for network devices which the user-space can
> use for configuring it and such.  But it's many years since I played with
> FreeBSD, so my memory is scarce.
>

> --
> kind regards,
>
> David Sommerseth

That matches my memory of BSD from many years ago. I tried it after getting
disgusted with RedHat, then Mandrake, then Ubuntu and Mint. I eventually found
this distro during one of Centos' periods of dying and have lived here
comfortably for some time now.

Nonetheless, as soon as I need something a little out of the ordinary for
networking I disable network mangler and hand craft my solutions. Moving to 7 is
going to be painful. I use a seldom used feature of IPTables to make a nice
killer firewall that makes repeated attempts to login via SSH with passwords
cost too much time to guess the password. Can't retry until 2 minutes have
passed. It's fascinating to see the chains of attempts on SSH when the first one
got far enough to reject the password and the chain of 200 that followed were
simply dropped on the floor. I don't see that fun much anymore. Smaller logs are
easier logs to watch. I moved ssh et al to uncommon pure random number port
numbers - and left the other protection in place.

{^_^}   Dis broad likes multiple barriers for safety.