SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2016

Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2016 23:31:30 +0100
On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 01/27/2016 07:02 AM, Tom H wrote:

>>> Have you gone into /dev and made the appropriate permissions change on
>>> the
>>> device?
>>
>> NICs aren't listed under "/dev". They're symlinks under
>> "/sys/class/net/" that point at "/sys/devices/...".
>
> At a previous epoch, both VMware and VirtualBox allowed a MS Win guest to
> "share" the Linux host 802.11 Internet connection, typically through NAT if
> my memory serves. This no longer works evidently because of a change in the
> kernel. Is there any modified driver that can overlay a "virtual" NIC on
> the real 802.11 NIC? Can the kernel be "tricked" by such an overlay? Is
> there a possible alternative (modified, "hacked") kernel that will allow
> this? Is the only alternative to obtain a second 802.11 NIC and then have
> the Linux host not use this hardware but have it used by the virtual machine
> (e.g., MS Win guest)? My laptop has an external "hardware" expansion insert
> slot, and I might be able to find such a 802.11 NIC.

I thought that you weren't able to bridge a wifi NIC with a bridge
(which is normal) but you seem to be unable to use natting (which
isn't).

I don't use SL (or RHEL or CentOS) on my laptop; I use Ubuntu and
Fedora. I'm able to use kvm with and without natting (but without
bridging the wifi NIC).

I've also installed kvm and virtualbox on both my parents' laptops
(running Ubuntu) and I can do the same on both with kvm and
virtualbox. I can even use a bridged setup with virtualbox; it doesn't
use a br or a tap device so its bridging method's non-standard and
hidden.

You're going to be fighting the kernel and udev if you try to use a
usb modem from virtualbox and not from your laptop.