SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2016

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 2016 21:06:57 -0500
On 01/23/2016 01:30 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> Perhaps someone else has experienced what I related below and can
> comment -- SL 7x.
>
> 1.  ... For 802.3, I prefer to use a manual configuration, not
> NetworkManager.

For a dynamic connection even with a wired Ethernet you should use the
supported NetworkManager stack, your personal preferences aside.  NM
works and doesn't require munging for a simple DHCP wired connection.

> 2.  ...Note that I must use MS Win to work with these devices as the
> application software for the device in question is *NOT* available for
> linux, the device is proprietary (no source code available), and
> CrossOver/Wine does not support USB -- forcing the use of a VM running
> a MS Win guest.

Neither VMware nor VirtualBox ship as part of SL.  KVM does, and USB
passthrough works very well with Windows 7 running in a KVM virtual
machine on my laptop.  It just works, and it's already part of SL; why
not use it?  Performance is very good in my experience, and I'm running
a few pieces of software in Win 7 for the same reasons as you.  You're
also far more likely to get useful help using KVM, either from the list
or from other sources, such as the Red Hat or Fedora documentation.