SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2016

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 2016 21:08:30 +0300
Hi ToddAndMargo!

 On 2016.01.24 at 02:06:38 -0800, ToddAndMargo wrote next:

> Hi All,
>
> I am noticing that Sl 7.2 is mounting flash drives in
> /run/media/todd

There are many reasons for this - new directory "todd" is created in
tmpfs, not on real filesystem (in /media), this supports multiple users
using their own devices (one user locks the screen and goes away,
another one logs in on the same PC, inserts flash drive - he gets his
own "/run/media/newuser" hierarchy for his devices, not being able to
see what's on yours) and so on.

> Any reason why I can't turn /media into a link
> to /run/media/todd
> ?

Well technically you can do whatever you want, as long as you are sure
that no other users will be logging in on this PC so it'll always be
"/run/media/todd". Note that since the later directory is created when
first device is inserted, the link will be broken till that time (not a
big deal).

But, if you replace proper directory "/media" with a link, it will cause
errors when upgrading filesystem package. You aren't mean to replace
system directories.

However, you can do something like
ln -sf /run/media/todd /media/todd
or
ln -sf /run/media/todd /Media

(as a root). If that's convenient to you, why not?

--

Vladimir