SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2016

Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 2016 08:36:11 -0600
I installed a Radeon 5450 card in an SL6.7 machine in the hopes of getting a higher resolution video.  The on-board could only handle 1280x1024.  But I've been unable to get it to work.  At first I thought I bought the wrong card - a Radeon 6430.  So, I ordered a 5450 after looking through the list of supported chipsets reported in the Xorg.0.log file.  The 6430 was not listed even though it did list 6000 series.  The 5450 was explicitly listed.

But the net effect is the same.  The Xorg.0.log reports no screens found.  It apparently starts with a

[KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported

Then, starts to go through a series of fallbacks, deleting each Screen 0 because there was no matching config section.

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks.