SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2016

Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2016 08:24:51 -0800
On Thu, 14 Jan 2016, Benjamin Lefoul wrote:

> Someone just mentioned Cobbler, and the fact that it's RH's baby. Is
>  this in any way linked to the recent acquisition of Ansible ?
> In fact, I never really understood what Ansible was, and does it have
>  its place in automated install? Can it replace Kickstart?
>
> As you can see I am pretty naive about the topic...

We have been getting started on Ansible.

Note that Red Hat has purchased Ansible - it has all the hallmarks of
a product that suits Red Hat very well - python-based, a model built
around a readily available, open-source product, with a purchase model
(Ansible Tower) of the GUI-side of the product for an enterprise crowd.

I quite like what I see so far.  It does not replace Kickstart, but
you can use Ansible during kickstart in an 'ansible-pull' mode.
By default, the daily administration mode is typically push mode -
that is - using ssh from a management node you push out your changes.

The idea is to set up 'roles' that manage typical tasks - for example,
configuring local ntp, or managing ssh host keys.  During kickstart you would
just run, or as they say 'play', those roles.

Fedora's infrasture uses Ansible:
   https://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ansible.git

cheers, etc.
--