SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2016

From:
lejeczek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2016 12:55:14 +0000
On 13/01/16 19:30, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 07:59:43AM -0600, Alec T. Habig wrote:
>> Konstantin Olchanski writes:
>>> The installer for both have the same idiotic "you *must* create a fake
>>> user or no login prompt for you!",
>> If you're not making a local user, then you've probably got a network
>> authentication scheme.
>>
> Indeed. We use NIS. Support for NIS was removed in the el7 installer. Rejoyce!
>
>> In which case, you're probably deploying more than one machine.  Take a
>> look at making a kickstart file to automate the install process.  In
>> kickstart, you don't have to make a dummy user, you can just define your
>> network authentication setup.  And much, much more: then use that same
>> script to install on as many machines as you want.
>>
> Indeed. Have been using kickstart installs for years. CD/DVD kickstarts,
> PXE-network-booted kickstarts, now mostly USB-flash-booted kickstarts.
Have you looked at / tired cobbler? It's great for larger
deployment but also good for smaller, even only a few
machines environment.
It's not too heavy, not to over complicated and quite
flexible, it's all what you do already, only it glues it all
together + a web interface.
And with good support as it's Redhat's own thing, or was, I
think.