SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2016

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2016 06:24:31 +0100
If you use CERN CentOS 7 - please contact us at [log in to unmask] in
case you encounter problems, if you use CentOS 7 - please use centos
mailing lists...

> Now CERN Linux el7 comes in and I see the machines installed as 7.1 stay there,
> no automatic update to 7.2. Odd.
>
> Then here, I see same with CentOS7 - no automatic updates by default, no automatic
> updates to latest point release, 7.1 machines stay at 7.1. (I do not have any SL7 to compare)
>
> So I am puzzled by all this. Maybe I should ask google: "is centos7 supposed to self update to latest point release?"

In both cases you should get automatic updates to latest release (while
using default yum repository definitions), if this is not the case:
please report the problem.

> Then I takes quite a bit of work to get automatic updates to work at all on CentOS7
> (CERN el7 seems to be okey):
>
> a) The yum.cron package is crazy - each time I need to use yum, I have to wait
> until it finishes some useless background tasks. Then "yum remove yum.cron" has
> no effect because all the cron jobs are part of the main yum package. Go figure.
>
> b) the CERN yum-autoupdate package, which we use for SL6 updates, depends
> on a yum plugin not available anywhere (except from a CERN repo) and then actually
> does not work out of the box because of strange interaction with systemd - only works after a reboot.
>
> bb) then it does not send any email about updates - the el6 yum-autoupdate did this,
> where did this function go?!?

again: if you encounter such problem(s) - please report.

> (Hmm... maybe I should try these auto update scripts from the SL7 repository?)
>

> So as they say, 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

... I think this discussion went totally off-topic for the SL mailing
list ..

Best Regards

Jarek