SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2016

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2016 09:53:04 -0600
On 01/13/2016 01:35 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> On 01/11/2016 08:52 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]
>> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 01/11/2016 09:57 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:
>>
>>         On 01/09/2016 04:37 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>

>>             If you are sure the xorg.conf file existed but has been
>>             removed with
>>             no backup, then it was not done by ELRepo. I suggest you
>>             look into the
>>             code. You will find that ELRepo's package would not remove
>>             xorg.conf
>>             without backing up.
>>

>>         I respectfully disagree.  It is possible that there were multiple
>>         installs/updates of the ELRepo driver during the experimental
>>         stages of
>>         getting
>>         SL 7 to work on the platform as the platform was delivered.
>>         But -- both
>>         the primary and backup copies have an ElRepo comment and no
>>         "stock"
>>         content.  Because of the way the Dell boot bios interacted
>>         with the
>>         platform after a power outage (beyond the limits of the small UPS
>>         attached to the unit -- that may need new batteries but the
>>         Department
>>         may not have the money to maintain), the only way to get to
>>         the obvious
>>         Dell boot configuration screen (GUI driven) was to remove the
>>         Nvidia
>>         card -- and the system does now boot to the text terminal
>>         interface, but
>>         no GUI.
>>
>>         I can email to you the xorg.conf files I found on the machine
>>         after the
>>         above actions.  I will do additional digging. Meanwhile, no
>>         one has
>>         responded so I either will find the X11 xorg configuration
>>         utility or
>>         attempt to copy one from a working machine that has no Nvidia
>>         card.
>>
>>         Yasha
>>

>>     I haven't had much time to work with SL7 yet, but isn't it the
>>     case that there is no xorg.conf by default?  Try just renaming the
>>     nvidia generated one and see what happens.  I think the X server
>>     attempts to autodetect settings, which has gotten fairly reliable
>>     over the years for the most common setups.
>>
>>     -Mark
>>

>> That is my understanding. In SL7, there should be no xorg.cong file by
>> default. In fact, |xorg.conf| is marked as deprecated in EL6, but will
>> still be used if it is present. Graphical settings are supposed to be
>> automatically detected and configured by the X server.
>>
>> Akemi
>>
> Precisely the problem.  The Nvidia X11 driver package seems to have
> "hardwired" some version of the Nvidia (not noveau) driver into the
> system.  How does one find this and revert to "stock"  for an Intel
> graphics driver or for some more generic VGA style driver?   If I list
> [...]

Uninstalling both the kmod-nvidia and the nvidia-x11-drv should do the
trick.  It may leave behind the xorg.conf for you to manually remove,
depending on how the rpm was configured during build.

It is the kmod-nvidia module which does the nouveau blacklisting using
/usr/lib/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf.

-Mark