SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2016

From:
"Alec T. Habig" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alec T. Habig
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2016 07:59:43 -0600
Konstantin Olchanski writes:
> The installer for both have the same idiotic "you *must* create a fake
> user or no login prompt for you!",

If you're not making a local user, then you've probably got a network
authentication scheme.

In which case, you're probably deploying more than one machine.  Take a
look at making a kickstart file to automate the install process.  In
kickstart, you don't have to make a dummy user, you can just define your
network authentication setup.  And much, much more: then use that same
script to install on as many machines as you want.

Finally sat down to figure this out, and even for my measly handful of
machines, it was worth it.

> and the same "you *must* use the disk partition tool designed by
> dummies for dummies".

likewise solved by kickstart.

although even interactively you can still use fdisk from the shell,
certainly not a dumbed-down tool.  Perhaps too much in the other
direction :)

--
			       Alec Habig
		     University of Minnesota Duluth