SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2016

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2016 14:30:55 -0600
Since this is becoming a top-post thread, I will continue the trend.

CentOS does not offer a support contract like RHEL.  Why would a company
compete with itself?  It is essentially a community supported release of
RHEL, just like SL.

Of course, some one please correct me if I am wrong here...

This is not a new topic, and was discussed at length when RedHat
announced the acquisition of CentOS and changes to the build process.
To my knowledge, the SL team had discussions with the CentOS and RedHat
people on how to move forward.  The SL team decided to continue as a
complete separate distribution instead of become in extra
repository/site for the foreseeable future.

One of the key features I like about SL is the ability to stay on a
specific point release and still receive relevant updates.  There are
probably several other reasons Connie or Pat could elaborate on as well.

In the end, it is up to personal/company preference with any
distribution you chose to use.  That is part of what open source is
about.  Arguing for distribution usage/mergers doesn't really do
anything productive here in a users' mailing list.

-Mark