SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2016

From:
lejeczek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2016 20:04:50 +0000
hi,
after my first post I made a move, I should say a smaller
rather, I did migrate a small HA cluster from SL7.1 to
Centos7.2.
Instructions to do that I'm sure everybody can easily look
up, just one tiny manual intervention was needed above what
is already covered by a doc on Centos website.
But most importantly nothing broke, all the usual servers,
web, mail, other net related services including HA carried
on seamlessly.
Like I said earlier, and everybody knows, a lot, a lot is
already shared, differences boil down to maybe a philosophy
behind each organization responsible for each snip-off, some
organizational and administrative processes, protocols.
Slight advantage seems that Centos offers, but expected as
they are closer to the source in the lifecycle supply chain,
is higher revision of some rpm packages, I see I get
slightly newer kernel for example, etc.

If I was to voice my opinion out - and scientific devel &
other responsible culprits are listening - then I say: go
for it, get together, merge userbase, share devel jobs,
duties, etc. Merge/share or even better, tell Redhat we want
to use their, shared by all, bug reporting system.

I've decided, I'll be moving over to Centos, gradually but
surely.
Note, one thing to remember if you did SL -> Centos,
afterwards, is yum repos, make sure what you have enabled there.

cheers