SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2016

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2016 21:20:43 +1100
On 31/01/16 20:37, Jose Marques wrote:
>> On 31 Jan 2016, at 04:17, Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> If you're doing desktop stuff, I don't think EL7 has it anymore - may as
>> well use Fedora. I use Fedora + KDE5 on my laptop and its about as good
>> as gnome was before the great dumbing down that made Gnome 3.
>
> I agree. As a small academic department we used to run SL6 on the desktop. We looked at 7 but it has the same problem as 6 of increasingly out of date packages. Now we use Fedora. Getting things to work the way we want is a challenge, the constant changes are a pain, but in return we get up to date everything with most user s/w requests coming straight from standard repos. We even run Fedora on four public facing servers so that everything is consistent.
>
> On the server side we still very much use SL6 and are moving to SL7. With a minimal install (and sans Gnome which I don’t like at all) it’s a very nice system.

I don't think I could do Fedora on servers :P

I'm moving a lot across to EL7 - and with it, a few systems are giving
me grief with custom systemd stuff being required and a few of the old
ways not quite working like they used to.

Thankfully, I can avoid the abomination that is Gnome 3 and run
everything headless - no GUI anywhere near EL7. I'm ok with that.

Fedora however, I agree is ok for the desktop - in fact, better than EL7.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: https://www.crc.id.au