SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2016

From:
Jose Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jose Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 2016 09:37:04 +0000
> On 31 Jan 2016, at 04:17, Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> If you're doing desktop stuff, I don't think EL7 has it anymore - may as
> well use Fedora. I use Fedora + KDE5 on my laptop and its about as good
> as gnome was before the great dumbing down that made Gnome 3.

I agree. As a small academic department we used to run SL6 on the desktop. We looked at 7 but it has the same problem as 6 of increasingly out of date packages. Now we use Fedora. Getting things to work the way we want is a challenge, the constant changes are a pain, but in return we get up to date everything with most user s/w requests coming straight from standard repos. We even run Fedora on four public facing servers so that everything is consistent.

On the server side we still very much use SL6 and are moving to SL7. With a minimal install (and sans Gnome which I don’t like at all) it’s a very nice system.

YMMV.

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland, No. SC013532.