SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2016

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2016 03:30:10 +1100
On 05/01/16 03:27, Pat Riehecky wrote:
> On 01/02/2016 12:49 AM, Steven Haigh wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Just wondering if it is possible to create an updates.img that includes
>> the following kernel modules for the PXE boot install images:
>>
>> CONFIG_XEN_FBDEV_FRONTEND=m
>> CONFIG_HVC_XEN=m
>> CONFIG_HVC_XEN_FRONTEND=m
>>
>> The SL7 kernels used on the anaconda installer don't have these options
>> set - so there is no VNC graphical output to the Xen system. This means
>> that unless you use the 'console' (xl console command), then you can't
>> see what's going on with the DomU install.
>>
>> It seems SL6 behaves properly for this - and it may well be seen to
>> stray from the path too much to include in the base PXE image kernel -
>> which means having an updates.img would be a nice compromise - ie its
>> optional and doesn't require modification of the core install images.
>>
>> There is an updates.img currently in the PXE directory of 7rolling, but
>> that seems to cause a whole heap of problems if its used...
>>

> Hi Steven,
>
> I've not got a lot of experience working with Xen, but I'll look into
> what this would take.

Thanks Pat,

I know absolutely nothing about anaconda and the build process for
images. I'd be more than happy to test whatever I can though.

I run Xen just about everywhere - and also run http://xen.crc.id.au - so
if you have any Xen questions, I'd be more than happy to help out.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: https://www.crc.id.au