SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2015

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 2015 19:38:31 -0500

Earlier, you said:

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 7:17 PM, Steve Gaarder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I always thought that /usr/local was defined to be an area left alone by the
> operating system. For many years, we have made it a symlink to a read-only
> directory in AFS space. This has worked fine - until now. When I tried to

A symlink form /usr/local to a read-only AFS space is *not* the same
thing as symlinks for /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/etc,
/usr/local/share, /usr/local/lib, etc. Be clear that replacing
/usr/local with a symlink in the form you describe is *not* compliant
with the FSH. Not that it's not useful in your environment, but just
so you appreciate that you may have issues with core packages such as
the "filesystem" package.