SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2015

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 2015 11:18:45 -0400
What we have done for the last 25 years on Unix and Linux systems to avoid
this problem.
On a separate disk we put /home, /usr/local, /opt to keep the OS install sysem
from rewriting these directories.
There is also a /co-lib disk that we keep all data sheets and parts info etc
In a manufacturing environment this is real help.

We add these to the users PATH and everything works out pretty well.  They can
easily find information and added sw.   It it doesn't run correctly we then
have get a new version a crude way of doing things but it works.

Above all else run a couple of back ups and keep on offsite.  Our insurance
agent kept a back of system on a separate box.   The theirves stold it all
and the only thing that saved him was we had upgraded his system a week
before and the old disks were still on the shelf.
So without the orig. disks a cloud back up may not be a solution.

Larry Linder