SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2015

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 2015 16:30:58 +0300
Hi Yasha Karant!

 On 2015.10.30 at 08:51:52 -0700, Yasha Karant wrote next:

> The physical 802.11 WNIC is IP configured by DHCP from the ISP. Does this
> require DHCP "trickery" to transfer this information
> to the virtual 802.3 NIC under VirtualBox that is supplied to the MS Win
> guest?

In case of linux bridging, IP belongs to the bridge and is shared
between all devices on that bridge. Your dhcp client configures the
bridge, not any of the physical interfaces with the bridging. Interface
itself has to be unconfigured before bridging on IP level, but has to
exist and configured on physical level; which is easy to accomplish with
regular network (link is up - interface is bridged - IP is set up), but
trickier on wireless which offers very different "physical level"
concept (it's actually not very compatible with wired concepts). wlan
interface has to be bridged after you establish AP mode or connect to
AP, but before you start configuring IP (dhcp or else). Which is why
usually support from support from software that manages wifi connection
is needed; in my case, hostapd adds wlan0 to existing bridge by itself
at the right moment.

In short, if you are trying to bridge interfaces after IP is configured
or before "physical layer" exists (wireless is connected in case of
wlan), it's not going to work.

--

Vladimir