SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2015

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2015 23:17:55 -0400
On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 7:10 AM, Larry Linder
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> This is the same problem we experianced with SL 6.0  in August 13. ( Two years
>> ago ). - the comm chip set is not broken.  Run ifconfig and you can see that
>> it Receives data but no transmit.
>> SL 5.10 works.
>> SL 6.0 and later versions have a mistake in driver and kernal, are  broken..
>>
>> We used a ELRepo kernal and driver to fix problem with SL 6.5.   It has worked
>> well for 2 years.
>
> Which driver did you use? kmod-r8168?
>
>> Looking for an Elrepo driver and Kernel to fix problem.   There is not a set
>> for SL 6.7.   Anyone have any idea when we might see the driver and kernel.
>
> It is in the same place. But really, you should ask ELRepo-related
> questions in the ELRepo mailing list.
>
> As someone suggested, if your hardware is not supported, you could try
> asking RH to include the driver for that. I don't want to give you a
> false hope, but they _might_ listen to your request...

Especially if you buy a license. I've traditionally run a mix of
upstream licensed servers for production environments, and completely
free software builds for cheap development and testing boxes. It's
worked reasonably well all the way back to Red Hat 4.2. (Not RHEL 4.2:
Red Hat 4.2, almost 20 years ago.) And I "pay for" even the free
builds by trying to support the user communities.

Please do post the particular chip set and motherboard, if you can.