SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2015

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 11:45:04 -0700
Although the KVM solution discussed here may work, the description of
this in operation appears to be a true
hypervisor even when only used to run, say, MS Windows as an application
environment virtual machine under SL.  That is, this solution is not the
same "in spirit" as is VirtualBox.  On a hard 802.3 wired connection,
VirtualBox does provide Internet access to the outside world from the
guest; this seems to be a failure on a 802.11 ISP wifi connection.  JHas
anyone used VMware-Player-12.0.0-2985596.x86_64.bundle on a SL7 host
with a MS Win guest?

If so, is the "free" version stripped of sufficient features as not to
be useful in a "production" environment?  I do not need merely to look
at pretty pictures of a running guest environment; I need to access the
Internet. to share files (e.g., docx, pptx, etc.) between the Linux host
and the MS Windows guest, and to access both USB devices and the DVD
drive of the host on the guest.

My institution cannot afford the US$249 for the VMware Workstation
license, and I cannot justify the expenditure of research funds.
However, VMware player is licensed for free for non-commercial private
use (mine).

I do note that my query on the failure of VirtualBox to work with 802.11
host Linux networks and thus supply a connection to the guest OS within
VirtualBox now has had 46 views on the VirtualBox Linux host "forum"
without a reply -- evidently, this is a problem with the current
VirtualBox for which no one has a viable solution -- hence my interest
in VMware Player.

Yasha Karant