SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2015

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2015 17:45:24 -0400
On 10/19/2015 04:53 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> Thank you for the kind reply; however, you seem to be addressing a
> somewhat different situation.
>
> I am not virtualizing servers or anything like that.  For this use, I
> do not need a bare iron hypervisor that then can run various
> OS (supervisor) virtual machine images.  I need a real Linux host (SL
> 7) that can run MS Windows under it as a guest.  ...
> Does anyone have a solution for using the host SL 7 802.11 (wireless,
> wifi) ISP network connection to provide the NAT used by VirtualBox?
> (At the university,
> we are compelled to use Eduroam; at home, our ISP is Verizon -- both
> over 802.11 .)
KVM/libvirt virtualizes Win7 guests just as well as it does servers.  I
use it, but with wired and wireless connections, both 802.11b/g/n
(2.4GHz) and 802.11a (5GHz) wireless NICs.  The Win7 guest doesn't care
and doesn't see the difference.  There are a number of HOWTOs out there
showing how to get Win7 up as a guest, including with virtio disk,
network, and video.  You will need the virtio driver CD; google for it,
it's easy to find.  You need to do a bit of googling; all the
information you need is already out there in easily accessible form on
the KVM website.