SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2015

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 2015 10:58:06 -0400
On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Brandon Vincent
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 11:32 PM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> How do I click the button with wget or curl?
>
> wget --no-cookies --header "Cookie:
> oraclelicense=accept-securebackup-cookie"
> http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java/jdk/7u80-b15/jre-7u80-windows-i586.exe
>
> Worked for me.
>
> Brandon Vincent

Very sweet, thank you. That's also written into the chef "java"
cookbook as an available option

I realize the question above was about Windows downloads using wget,
but I've also got some notes below for Scientific Linux user RPM
users.

First, I personally have tended to either just use openjdk, which is
directly supported upstream by Red Hat, or grab the Oracle RPM's once
and put them in a local yum repository so I could stop playing with
manual downloads across a set of machines.

For newbies dealing with Sun, then Oracle, Java RPM's on Scientific
Linux, note that the RPM's have filenames that have very little to do
with the actual name of the RPM.they install. For clarity, they
benefit from being renamed to what the RPM *really* is: "rpm -qp
filename.rpm --qf '%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm\n'" is
pretty useful for finding out what the dang RPM is really called.

Also, for newbies, be aware that the Oracle JDK doesn't satisfy all
the java dependencies in a Scientific Linux or RHEL system, so you'll
still wind up with little bits of java utilities and even forced
installation of openjdk to resolve those dependencies. If those
update, they'll reset the default java to be openjdk. So I personally
find it useful to set your code that requires Oracle to specifically
set JAVA_HOME to select the specific Oracle Java version you mean to
use, and install openjdk *last* so it's the system default.

Heck, the interwoven dependencies got so persnickety I used to publish
a backage for SL 5 and the like to allow it to install the Oracle JDK
without openjdk, at
https://github.com/nkadel/jpackage-utils-compat-el5-srpm/. It's been
years since I touched that, I'm not sure how hard it would be to do
now for SL 6 or SL 7.