SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2015

From:
Torsten Luettgert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Torsten Luettgert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 2015 13:54:48 +0200
Hello all,

I'm looking for a way to create own "install media" - an install repo
tree would be fine, too, because the boxen I'm setting up are all
installed via PXE from an nfs tree.

In SL6, there was this revisor thingy
(http://scientificlinux.org/documentation/customize-sl-for-your-site/)
which looks perfect; there is no revisor in SL7, though, and I think I
remember it being discontinued.

Is there a replacement which enables me to throw a truckload of RPMs
on top of the SL7.1 install RPMs and create an install tree from them?

Thanks for help and best regards,
Torsten

P.S.: if anyone's interested, the background is this: I'm working on an
internal product which sets up a bunch of KVM machines working together
in a defined way (heavily firewalled, intricate internal networking
etc.); a test run will create and configure 21 machines from scratch
and takes a whopping 19 hours now.

A lot of time is wasted during the installs for pulling and installing
updates, setting up other repos and installing needed packages from
there, then re-checking for updates during the first configuration
run (I'm using salt for this). A customized tree would speed things up
a lot.