SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2015

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2015 22:13:20 -0700
A small update on the use of OpenSUSE and SLES (SLES being the SUSE
Enterprise linux in the same sector as EL).

I have removed OpenSUSE 13 from my X86-64 laptop and switched back to SL
7.  Because I had manually partitioned the laptop disk, a number of
partitions (formated XFS) did not need to be overwritten.  Although the
partition layout section of the SL 7 install GUI (from a bootable SL 7.1
DVD burned
from the ISO image available from SL download sites) is poor, it was
good enough to eventually get the matter accomplished.  As with the
SL 7 install on my workstation, it does not seem possible to select
specific packages at the initial install, but only groups of packages
based upon the "type" of
installation that one wants (workstation, server, etc.).

My primary reason for switching back was the lack of real SUSE support.
We did not buy a "full" support contract but only a self-support
contract for SLES.
SUSE was never able to get us access to the SLES download -- although
SUSE acknowledged receiving payment.  OpenSUSE has very poor support
compared
to SL.  This list ([log in to unmask]) provides much more
accurate and useful information than anything I could find for OpenSUSE.

For example,I reported a problem several times with MATE (that works
well on my workstation and is now working on my laptop under SL 7),
forcing me to use a KDE variant.  At no time was the problem (that
prevented caja from working) fixed, nor did I get any really useful
information (unlike what I find on this list).

Unlike yum that solves dependencies, the SUSE yast/zypper/apper system
uses "patterns".   As long as the "pattern" fitted what one needs,
things are fine.  However, our experience is that the SUSE pattern
method makes the sorts of custom configurations that often are needed in
a dynamic research environment (not a business production IT
environment) somewhat less flexible.  Likewise, the SUSE build service
that theoretically will take a source RPM and produce a SUSE installable
executable RPM package seems to be designed for those with a full cost
support contract.

There likewise seems to be no equivalent to EPEL and the like for
OpenSUSE.   One does note that although SuSE is an EU originated distro,
it seems that CERN has elected EL (that is SL).   I am a bit concerned
that CentOS is now the official clone (e.g., SL) source, not Red Hat,
whereas OpenSUSE directly is from SUSE; but for now, it seems that the
CentOS source used to build SL does produce a reliable "enterprise" linux.

Yasha Karant