SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2015

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2015 21:38:20 -0400
On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Larry Linder
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Install fails because it can't write  /boot to GPT partitioning.  SL5 does not
> understand this but relies on Master Boot Record.
>
> It appears that at least from our experiments SL cannot handle more than 4
> hard disks and this goes back to at least 5.9.   SL 6.7 identifies the disks
> as all sda - sde but fails to mount 5th disk.
>
> Any good ideas as to where this thing went wrong or how to fix problem.
> LVM still has the same problem when dealing with so many devices.
>
> It looks like we will try BSD and some other Linux editions to see if they
> have these limitations.   My guess is that upstream vendor made the free
> RHT "criple ware" deliberately.   If you could get the functions source code
> you would know in a few minutes.
> We have seen some mother boards with 12 sd ports.
>
> Larry Linder

That guess is ill-founded. Red Hat has been very, very good about
using GPL to publish their tools, especially kernels, and publishing
their installers. And I've personally various RHEL, CentOS, and
Scientific Linux systems on large environments with half a dozen
attached disks and never encountered what you're encountering. But I
do not partition anything but the "/" disk at installation time, i
always do the others later.