SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2015

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:19:28 -0500
Hello,

Thanks for your interest in Scientific Linux.  Fermilab continues to be
the primary sponsor of Scientific Linux, with some assistance from DESY
and ETHZ (OpenAFS and Live Media).

We plan to continue development of SL.  While the future is hard to
predict, there are currently no indications that will change.  The
Fermilab computing infrastructure relies on SL.

In terms of moving from 6 to 7, we recommend a complete re-install[1].
As a whole the OS feels very different.  There is a lot to like about
this new release, and a lot that is very very different.  Whatever your
plans, I strongly recommend reading the Upstream Release Notes (a link
is present within the SL notes)[2].  I would encourage a review of the
SL release notes

We are still planning a customization framework for local contexts -
like Sites and Spins from SL5 and SL6 with less overhead, but that work
is still pending.  An easy customization framework may be useful for
Kapteyn.

I hope this information is helpful,

Pat

[1]