SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2015

From:
Valentin B <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valentin B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2015 14:00:05 +0200
Hi,

In our faculty (Kapteyn astronomical institute)  we are using Scientific
Linux 6 on our servers and client machines. Recently, we've considered
to migrate to Scientific Linux 7 but are not sure if this is the right
move to make.  CentOS7 is also a potential consideration but we cannot
confirm if this is the right way either.

Is Fermilab and CERN still involved in the development and maintenance
of Scientific Linux and for how long?  Should we still choose to use SL6
and migrate to SL7 or would we better be off using CentOS?  What
potential problems could we be facing migrating to SL7?  Can one of you
shed some light on this?

Thanks  in advance!

--
Valentin Bajrami