SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2015

From:
Scott Dowdle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Dowdle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2015 12:48:14 -0600
Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> All of that looks like it should be working.....
  [...]

So, maybe I missed it... but how many screens, and of what type, do you have?  Is HDMI involved in anyway... even if not connected?  I ask because I have a lab of computers that have a DVI primary display... and then a secondary connection to an HDMI switch that is hooked up to a large, wall mounted HDMI TV.  If the switch is turned on when the computers boot Linux (they are dual boot with Windows 7 and Fedora 22 [previously 21 and 20]) the HDMI is detected as the primary display.  Since the TVs are almost always turned off unless actively being used... and the login screen is being sent to it... it effectively means students get confused because there aren't any login fields... and they think it is broken.

I investigated it and when I was using KDM as the graphical login manager, I discovered a way to override the HDMI being made primary thus setting the DVI as primary.  Since the KDE folks gave up on KDM and switched to SDDM... and me having some issues with it in is newborn stage... I switched to LightDM and still haven't figured out how to tell it to not set the HDMI as the primary display.  It seems that each display manager works differently, has it's own config, and there isn't a universal way to do this sort of thing... so far as I know.  I just keep the HDMI switches off in the room and tell students when they want to do a group presentation to the HDMI screens from Linux, they have to turn on the switch after booting... and then all is well.

Sorry for the long tangent of a story... but I was just wondering if it was possible if you have some weird display being detected as primary when it isn't?  I guess if I was better at reading Xorg logs I could answer my own question, but I'm not. :)

Again, it would be interesting to install another graphical display manager and see if it has the same problem you have with GDM or not.

One change that happened between EL 7.0 and 7.1 (I believe I'm correct on this, but I would love to be wrong)... is that GNOME 3 classic (or whatever the proper name is) didn't require accelerated 3D in 7.0 and does in 7.1.  If that is correct, perhaps that is related to your problem... and again... maybe an alternative graphical login manager would work.  Just to clarify, you can use any graphical login manager with any desktop combination.

I know I said above my lab machines are Fedora... but as you should know, Fedora is the upstream of (RH)EL... anyway, I have about a dozen or so Desktop Environments / Desktop Managers installed... and it is easy to pick any of them from all of the various Graphical Login Managers I've tried... and shouldn't be that different in (RH)EL.  Both XFCE and MATE are available in EPEL along with (as previously mentioned) LightDM (the login manager I think both of those drag in as a dependency).

If you don't use EPEL at all... and don't want to have to enable it just to try lightdm, I understand.  However if you ARE already using EPEL, give lightdm a try and see if that helps or not.  You can have multiple graphical login managers installed at the same time but of course... you can only have one of them enabled / running at a time.  These days GNOME requires GDM to be installed and KDE requires SDDM.  Supposedly they do that because they use something from them for their lock screens... but you DO NOT have to actually have one particular graphical login manager running... as any should work for any desktop environment / desktop manager.  Ok, now I'm repeating myself.  Sorry.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street