SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2015

From:
"Alec T. Habig" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alec T. Habig
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2015 12:02:03 -0500
Hi folks,

I want to add some new machines, running 7.1, into an ldap managed
cluster consisting of 6.x machines.  7 wants system accounts numbered
under 1000, 6 was happy with under 500.  Many users and countless files
over a number of machines have uids between 500 and 1000: a global
migration to the new scheme would be A Lot Of Work.  This fedora
features proposal page:

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/1000SystemAccounts

suggests dropping in a tweaked /etc/login.defs file in kickstart's %pre
section for people in my situation.

Unfortunately, the filesystem doesn't exist yet in %pre, so that's too
early to pull in a tweaked file.  In %post, all the system accounts are
already made and many config files have pulled the UID min and max
values from the default login.defs file already, so that's too late.

Only way forward seems to be build my own shadow-utils rpm with the
tweaked UID ranges, then build my own install image with this
replacement rpm.  Given that the above URL, which was the official point
of discussion when the feature was introduced, suggests something that's
not actually possible - something which surely has bitten every other
site moving from 6->7 - is this really the best way to do it?

I'm hoping that in my kickstart ignorance there's some intermediate
stage between %pre and %post, where the official suggestion actually
works!

     thanks,
     Alec

--