SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2015

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 2015 14:52:04 -0700
On 08/29/2015 02:18 PM, Jim Campbell wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2015, at 02:43 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> You would think this one would be an easy one to find
>> on the net, but ...
>>
>> First, before anyone shakes the finger at me,
>>
>>          $ ls -al /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>>          -rwxr--r--. 1 root root 1013 Aug 29 11:20 /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>>
>> How do you get rc.local to execute at boot time?
>>
>> I can execute it from the command line with and it does
>> what I want:
>>
>>         # systemctl start rc-local
>>
>> but it doesn't want to start at boot.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>
>> $ systemctl -la | grep -i rc-local
>>
>> rc-local.service
>>
>>          loaded failed   failed    /etc/rc.d/rc.local Compatibility
>
> To get systemd to start something at boot, you enter:
>
>    systemctl enable foo
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Jim

Not on this one.  But it is working now anyway, so go figure.

# systemctl enable rc-local
The unit files have no [Install] section. They are not meant to be enabled
using systemctl.
Possible reasons for having this kind of units are:
1) A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another unit's
    .wants/ or .requires/ directory.
2) A unit's purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit which has
    a requirement dependency on it.
3) A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path, timer,
    D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, ...).