SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2015

From:
Brandon Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brandon Vincent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 2015 02:08:36 -0700
On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 9:37 PM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Question: it remembers your password and doesn't prompt
> for it after the first time your enter it.  I can't find anything
> in the man page about this.  Is this suppose to happen?

This is normal behavior for beesu. beesu works by calling
consolehelper(8). consolehelper is a script which helps non-root users
run utilities as other users. When you run beesu, you are running a
symbolic link to consolehelper which then calls userhelper(8).
userhelper is the actual program that asks for the root password
graphically. userhelper relies on the PAM libraries for user
authentication. For userhelper, it uses the pam_timestamp.so plugin
which creates/users files under /var/run/ to maintain a session for
the entered password.

Or for the condensed answer, "It's good because you can run any
software as root and you don't need to enter your root password each
time, because while the session is active beesu can run any
application as root without asking you to enter your root password."
[1].

[1] http://honeybeenet.altervista.org/beesu/?id=101000

You might want to look at PolicyKit / pkexec as an alternative (it may
be a little involved to get it to function as expected).

Brandon Vincent