SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2015

From:
Paul Millar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Millar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 2015 14:21:54 +0200
Hi all,

On 05/08/15 17:15, Paul Millar wrote:
> On 05/08/15 15:47, Steven Timm wrote:
>> Paul, is it only the dCache rpms that fail to build or do other rpms
>> also fail to build?  did you try to build some other rpm?
>
> Sorry, I haven't tracked down the minimum demonstration.  I could be
> that other RPMs are building fine and something about this particular
> build operation is causing the problem.
>
> I'll try to provide a shorter example to demonstrate the issue.

I have build a minimal test case.  It is available as the file
rpmbuild-regression-testcase-1.tgz, from the following location:

https://desycloud.desy.de/public.php?service=files&t=49f0b16280da9f28f03e6e02c085b33d

To demonstrate the problem, unpack the tar file and run the 'build.sh'
script.

The problem stems from the following line in the spec file:

     #%install

In the earlier version of rpmbuild (4.8.0-37) this line is ignored, as
per the RPM documentation: "To create a comment, enter an octothorp (#)
at the start of the line. Any text following the comment character will
be ignored by RPM."[1].

With 4.8.0-47, this line is not ignored, resulting in the regression.
Completely removing this line provides a work-around for the problem.

Cheers,

Paul.

[1] http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/ch-rpm-inside.html