SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2015

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2015 12:01:14 -0400
On 08/20/2015 11:49 AM, Paul Millar wrote:
> Hi Owen,
>
> On 20/08/15 17:37, Lamar Owen wrote:
>> Thanks for the detail.  Can you verify on 6.6 (or previous) that
>> installing the 6.6 (non-patched) version of redhat-rpm-config also
>> causes the defaults to be SL-5 incompatible?
>
> AFAIK, before the patch-level 44 releases, there was no
> redhat-rpm-config in SL-6.
redhat-rpm-config has been in the base SL repo since SL 6.0, in 2011.
See
ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.0/x86_64/os/Packages/redhat-rpm-config-9.0.3-25.el6.noarch.rpm

It's easy to miss since it previously wasn't a hard requirement for
rpm-build, but it's been there since the beginnings of SL6.

> I can carry on with the work-around I found.

I actually appreciate your posting of the workaround, since for
package-building for EL5 I have kept an EL5 buildhost for some internal
packages, since I hit this with EL6.0 back in 2011.  But I have
installed redhat-rpm-config as part of my standard package-building
installation in EL6 since I first started using EL6 (I use CentOS 6 for
the most part, but CentOS and SL are almost identical for my purposes).

> The problem is that earlier versions of dCache don't have explicitly
> configured hash and compression values in their spec files.  This
> means that I now cannot rebuild earlier tagged dCache versions and get
> the same RPMs.

I understand your frustrations.

> Do you know where and how I should report this?

You could probably report it to Red Hat's bugzilla, but it would likely
be closed WONTFIX.