SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2015

From:
Paul Millar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Millar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2015 09:44:44 +0200
Hi guys,

I previously reported that RPM building failed after the upgrade because
of changes to macros.

I've just discovered another problem: after the upgrade, binary payloads
are compressed with xz (instead of gzip) and file digests use SHA-256 by
default, instead of MD5.

The issue with this is that now rpm packages will be incompatible with
SL-5 machines: such packages require the "rpmlib(FileDigests)" and
"rpmlib(PayloadIsXz)" capabilities, which SL-5 rpm doesn't provide.

The work-around is to specify the desired compression and hash algorithm
explicitly.  These can be placed in a configuration file (e.g.,
~/.rpmmacros), provided on the rpmbuild command-line or embedded within
the spec file:

     %define _source_payload w9.gzdio
     %define _binary_payload w9.gzdio
     %define _source_filedigest_algorithm 1
     %define _binary_filedigest_algorithm 1

This problem was caused by the rpm introducing a new dependency:
redhat-rpm-config.

Cheers,

Paul.