SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2015

From:
Jakob Blomer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jakob Blomer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 2015 18:34:03 +0200
Dear all,

as it turns out, the latest security update to grep changed the behavior
of a recursive search through stdin.  Previously the command

    echo test | grep -r test

(which is undoubtedly a bit buggy in itself) would ignore the -r and
search through the input.  With grep 2.20, this command will recursively
traverse all files starting from the current directory.

This problem occurred in one of the CernVM scripts but I assume we won't
be the only ones hitting it.

If you have the possibility to provide feedback to Red Hat, we would
very much appreciate if the old behavior was restored.  As a more
general feedback, at least for CernVM, we think a strict separation
between security updates and feature updates would be very helpful.

Cheers,
Jakob