SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2015

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2015 09:32:42 -0700
On 07/01/2015 03:23 AM, David Sommerseth wrote:
> On 01/07/15 04:25, toddandmargo wrote:
>>

>> ---- On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:41:41 -0700 *Konstantin Olchanski
>> <[log in to unmask]>* wrote ----
>>
>>      On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 06:59:29PM -0700, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>>      >
>>      > Is Modula2 available for SL 6 and 7?
>>      >

>>      pascal -> modula-2 -> oberon -> java -> go
>>

>> Maybe I should just give up and learn Perl
>
> These days Python and Perl are pretty safe languages which usually is
> part of most basic Linux installations.  If you extend it to the BSD
> family, Perl is safest.
>
> However Python most likely have an easier learning curve than Perl.
> Both languages are, IMHO, good alternatives.  But I generally find
> Python code much easier to to read.  Performance wise, they can both
> perform very well.
>
> If you have no Python experience at all, I can recommend this book:
> <http://www.diveintopython.net/>

I have found that the biggest issue I have with Perl is folks
trying to cram the sun, the moon, and stars all on to one
line.  I much prefer to break things up into several line
to make them as self documenting as possible.

But at least I can figure Perl out most of the time when
I see it.  I have a harder time with C and I know I shouldn't