SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2015

From:
Karel Lang AFD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karel Lang AFD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 2015 13:57:01 +0200
Hi Larry,
don't give up on it yet :]
 From sweat and tears usually come up the best results (my very own life
experience :])

Anyway - as you've written about disk partitioning during install - yes
it is horrible. It might be good for desktop install for someone who
doesn't know much about linux, but for server installation, the Anakonda
is tremendously lacking, IMHO.

What i did when installing testing server with SL 7.0 (in regards of
disk partitioning) i described on SL forums here:

http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?showtopic=2999

I think it might help you with your need of the custom disk partitioning.

As for overall system administration - yes, it's very different to SL 5
and SL 6 as SL 7 moved to systemd, firewalling is changed, networking
etc etc. Something for better, something not so much (IMHO).

If i got it well, you move from SL5? If the SL 7 is not strictly
required (because of HW of specific features) you might stick it out
with SL 6 which gonna be around to 2020 including updates and security
fixes. (this is what i do so far on servers i manage, as i wait for
higher versions of SL - like SL 7.5 and higher, when the OS is more
matured).

cheers :]

--
*Karel Lang*