SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2015

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 2015 22:23:18 -0400
On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 1:53 PM, Larry Linder
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Friday July 3 2015 11:21 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>> It looks to me,, like in this case, you need to custom partition the
>> disk. No idea why "/boot" is so small, but can you reduce the size of
>> "/" and then expand "/boot"?
> The OS is installed on a 200 Meg Disk and nothing else is on the disk.
> Removed all the install partations and still could not change any partation
> size.  It just does not work.

I'm going to be very, very surprised if it's actually a 200 Meg disk.
I'm assuming you mean a 200 Gig disk, because even I would have
difficulty finding a working 200 Meg disk in this day and age. You
have *zero* chance of filling all the critical libraries and binaries
of even a stripped SL 7.1 build onto 200 Meg.

I'm also a bit surprised at your difficulty with this, although I
admit the interface is confusing. Perhaps you can walk through it one
step at a time? I'll need to delete the LVM setup, including the
physical volume allocated for LVM, to resize /boot.

>> Unfortunately, each layer of anaconda installer on top of undelying
>> tools like parted for disk management, yum for package selection, and
>> NetworkManager has injected its own layer of interface on top of
>> *another* interface, on top of the actual configuration commands and
>> tools. And the results are predictable: edge cases result form
>> assumptions that were made, and which break down in practice. The size
>> of "/boot" is one of those.
>>
>> > 2.  Could not find a way to set up groups or add new users.
>> > Had to go back to hand edit of passwd and groups to make it happen.  No
>> > way to assign user id numbers.
>>
>> What? What happened to "useradd" and "luseradd", "groupadd" and "lgroupadd"
>> ?
> As root they are no where to be found which I thought was pretty strange.

Look in /usr/sbin/, which is not on your PATH as a root user unless
you logged in directly, at a console or inside terminal window as
root. That has to do with interesting SSH "PATH"  settings if SSH in
remotely. They've always been in "/sbin" or "/usr/sbin" as system
tools that a normal user shouldn't need on a casual basis.

>> > 3.  Could not find a utility to set up Internet connection - When you
>> > used a KDE or Gnome the Mac address of the router was different. !!!!  We
>> > have not been able to connect it to Network.
>>
>> Yeah, NetworkManager is not my friend. You might benefit from the
>>
>> lightweight 'nmcli'. I'm fairly unhappy about NetworkManager:
> Networking setup is pretty simple and who ever ginned this up apparantly does
> not know it.

They know the complex features they want to support. Those have gotten
better and make a better stab at pair bonding and KVM bridging and
multiple VLAN's  than they used to be: I used to have to do those
manually, and published notes.

>> > The evaluation box is a dual core AMD, 16 Gig of Ram, 4 disks - totaling
>> > 2 TB. and a GForce Video card, all pretty current stuff and a working
>> > 5.11 system. We will reload SL5.11 on to test box and start looking for
>> > another Linux distribution that has not been mangled by Ex Microsoft
>> > employees, working at RH.
>> >
>> > Due to obtuse problems we quit evaluation and will not deploy SL 7 -
>> >
>> > The best solution is to drop back and evaluate SL 6.5 and see if we can
>> > live with it.  We have a SL 6.2 used on special project.
>> >
>> > We need to run spice, a Circuit layout editor, many spread sheets and a
>> > number of in house programs to manage inventory, component ordering,
>> > e-mail,  VMWare to run several cad packages and a stress analysis
>> > program.  Some employees run  12 desktops and two monitors.   So fare we
>> > have not see a limitation for 5.11 but have had to install a number of
>> > newer libs to accommodate new SW.

I'm slightly familiar with spice and xspice. I ported them to....
SunOS 4.1.4, I think? I found they didn't have large enough parts
libraries to justify the effort, I'd spend any time and money saved
building up parts libraries. But things may have changed.

>> > Larry Linder

Your name is strangely familiar. Where did you go to college?

                         Nico Kadel-Garcia