SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2015

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 2015 12:56:31 -0700
On 07/06/2015 12:08 PM, Amber mail wrote:
> Dear SL community,
>
> I am a Scientific Linux user, and I am new to Linux
> I installed a program called grace for plotting graphs; when I want to
> execute the program, I used to type */xmgrace/* in the terminal then the
> program opens its window. Now I have to specify the location of xmgrace
> each time I wanna run the program for example, I type in the terminal
> the full path
>
>     /home/Alaa/grace-5.1.25/src/xmgrace
>
> Is there a way to make running the program straightforward by typing
> just /*xmgrace*/ in the terminal?

Hi Amber,

Welcome to the Dark Side!

There are lots of ways.  If it is an executable, here is one
way.  As root,

    ln -s /home/Alaa/grace-5.1.25/src/xmgrace /usr/bin/xmgrace

You can also add it to your path.  And your can create a launcher
on your desktop.

"src" usually means you have to compile it.  Has this already been
compiled?  If it need to be compiled, it is best just to "cd" to
it

> The last thing, since I come with Windows background in which all the
> installed files are located in a folder called _programs files _so In
> which folder can I find the installed programs in linux

There is a start type button somewhere that will give you a
tree of your applications.  Exactly how depends on the bazillions
of Desktop GUI's you are offered.  When you find what you want, if you
right click on it, you will get the option of creating a launcher on
your desktop and/or your task bar.

What GUI are you using?

> Best Regards,
> Alaa

If you are use to Windows, you will find Linux to be a bit bewildering
at first do to all the sudden choices you have.  But you will rapidly
get use to is and feel caged in with Windows (or Apple for that
matter).

Don't forget to set your screen saver to Bounding Cows!

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.