SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2015

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jul 2015 16:44:46 +0300
Hi Konstantin Olchanski!

 On 2015.07.04 at 15:17:11 -0700, Konstantin Olchanski wrote next:

> On Sat, Jul 04, 2015 at 04:59:42PM -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> > The reason for the small /boot is ...
> > ... the introduction of dracut ...
>
> alt.comp.separate.slash.boot.die.die.die
> alt.comp.dracut.die.die.die

To be fair, there is not many reasons to have separate /boot on modern
system (with grub2). Especially if it's also UEFI system and has
boot loader on UEFI system partition. Or, at VERY least, if people are
so comfortable with separate partition for some reason, it should reside
on LVM. For grub2, it doesn't matter if you use software raid or LVM or
w/e and have /boot together with the rest of partitions on raid/LVM
stack.

But nooo upstream installer insists on having /boot as a clean separate
partition for the reasons unknown and will complain if you try to put it
on LVM. Still, it's very possible to move /boot on LVM after that,
grubby or whoever modifies grub config on kernel install (it's so
complicated nowadays if you consider all the tuning knobs, I'm just not
sure anymore which is responsible for what) will handle it just fine.

As for dracut, personally I don't think it's evil, it has many nice
features: rescue shell available without root fs, nice and reliable way
to execute code before mounting root fs (libguestfs uses that. Oh, and
zfs on linux works reliably thanks to dracut), rescue initrd with "all
drivers" (useful when you have to replace storage controller on the path
to your system drive).

--

Vladimir