SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2015

From:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:59:42 -0400
The reason for the small /boot is since the introduction of dracut you can now use a shockingly small ‎kernel because the initrd is now customized to your box and less modules need to be compiled in too. That said that is a bit small but you can override it it just takes a lot of clicks.

As for gnome it's always been Red Hats favorite because they have had a heavy hand in developing it. It's never been easy ‎to override. That said I've done it with XFCE on rhel 7 and fedora so it's not impossible.
Further more if you are doing a lot of deploys you should be using kickstarts which give you far more control over the installation and guarantee consistency.

What it comes down to is 7 is a new beast with a big learning curve. You need to play with it and not worry about messing it up the first few time because it will happen.