SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2015

From:
Carl Friedberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carl Friedberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2015 17:01:26 +0000
Todd,

IMO, Perl can be made to look at least as inscrutable as APL.

But there's nothing intrinsic in the language that forces you

to write code that can't be understood.

It is unfortunate that some practitioners love to write concise

(i.e., difficult to understand) code, especially trying to fit it

all on one line.

Good Perl code should have lots of comments and clear

structure, just like any other language which can be written

so it can be easily understood.

Nothing like having to go back to code you wrote 4 years

ago at 3 am with no comments, to encourage good writing

style.

Just my 2 cents.

Carl Friedberg

[log in to unmask]  (212) 798-0718