SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2015

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 2015 20:11:31 -0400
> On Jul 14, 2015, at 11:31, Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> pull over to EPEL for 7; I'm trying to get a recent kicad built myself, and it wants boost 1.54+ among other things. The source RPM for kicad that shipped with Fedora 20 builds ok, but the source RPMs for Fedoras 21 and 22 do not.

He's using ngspice, as it turns out, and a non-rpm front end, so he's probably SOL for SL 7 support.0

I'm actually increasingly unhappy with SL 7. It's in a bad relationship with far too many unnecessary and complex new features, such as the whole systemd and Gnome overwhelming architectural shifts. And they're already well behind on various libraries and modules for Perl, Python, and even RT, subversion, and Samba. The result is that backporting contemporary tools to SL 7 is already a very expensive and fragile proposition.

I'm getting more and more inclined to give SL 7 a complete miss, and see if SL 8 will be contemporary enough to ease my backporting work.