SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2015

From:
Steve Traylen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Traylen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2015 10:49:11 +0200
On 06/18/2015 09:35 AM, Thomas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for a way to enable extended attributes for /tmp, i.e.,
> tmpfs maintained by systemctl?
> AFAIK most recent file system support being mounted with xattr, but I
> have no idea how to get systemctl to mount tmpfs with extended attributes?
>
> Cheers and thanks for ideas,
>    Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Check the status of

# systemctl status tmp.mount

by default it is masked and you basically can't mount /tmp from
/etc/fstab. It will be ignored.

Running,

# systemctl enable tmp.mount

and /tmp will become a tmpfs on reboot.

I have not tried but I expect if you

# cp /lib/systemd/system/tmp.mount /etc/systemd/system/

and you should be able to edit the mount options in the new file.

Finally this is one other option which is

# system unmask tmp.mount

This will allow you to use /etc/fstab to define a /tmp filesystem.

I now confused why the last one is 'unmask' but that is what I am doing
on lxplus7.cern.ch where we use big disk for /tmp.

      Steve.