SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2015

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2015 09:36:19 +0200
On 16/06/15 09:12, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 06/15/2015 11:55 PM, David Sommerseth
[...snip...]

>> firewalld isn't replacing iptables, it actually depends on it.
>> Firewalld is more like a more advanced configuration tool for iptables.
>>
>> IIRC, with the iptables-services package installed you get the same
>> iptables behaviour as in SL6.  That means you have the configuration
>> located in /etc/sysconfig/iptables*.
>>

> Hi David,
>
> Thank you. I had thought for a moment that firewalld had replaced
> iptables
>
> Just out of curiosity, does iptables-services have to be active to  all
> iptables with a script?

If you have your own script which does the iptables configuration, you
don't need iptables-services at all.  But I would encourage you to try
to write your own systemd service file to start it at boot, as it is a
good way to learn and understand systemd better.  And it is really simple.

- create your own .service file in /etc/systemd/system.  Read the
  systemd.unit and systemd.service man pages for more information.

- Make systemd reload the unit files:  systemctl daemon-reload

- Play with your new systemd unit through systemctl
  {start,stop,reload,status} $YOUR_UNIT

Also have a look at the default unit files found in
/usr/lib/systemd/system.  If a unit file with the same file name is
found under /etc/systemd/system, the latter one will override the
default system unit.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth