SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2015

From:
"Hogben, Colin H" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hogben, Colin H
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 2015 15:27:57 +0100
Hi,
I'm having problems accessing the Scientific Linux web site.  Many of
the resources linked from www.scientificlinux.org are pages on
https://content.scientificlinux.org but there appear to be two problems
with SSL configuration on the server side for this host.

Firstly, the server certificate is not valid for the hostname
content.scientificlinux.org - Firefox reports:

content.scientificlinux.org uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is only valid for the following names:
   uhosts.fnal.gov , cd-docdb.fnal.gov , osg-docdb.opensciencegrid.org ,
www.darkenergysurvey.org , www.usluo.org , www.scientificlinux.org ,
staging.scientificlinux.org , www.uslua.org
(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

Secondly, even if you click through the warnings and accept the invalid
certificate, the SSL handshake fails, apparently because the server is
requesting a client certificate.  Firefox reports:

Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to content.scientificlinux.org.
SSL peer was unable to negotiate an acceptable set of security parameters.
(Error code: ssl_error_handshake_failure_alert)

I found a workaround: when the browser displays its error message,
manually replace "content" with "www" in the address bar.  However this
is tedious to say the least!

I hope someone can sort out this certificate problem, as I think it
reflects badly on a great project.

Regards,
--
Colin Hogben