SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2015

From:
Al Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 2015 23:00:05 -0500
I am trying to get an Epson WF-2540 networked printer working with my SL 6.6
installation. I have downloaded the requisite driver package

epson-inkjet-printer-201211w-1.0.0-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm

from Epson and it installed without problem. The printer was installed using
system-config-printer and is recognized by the system as the only/default
printer. Among other things the ink levels are reported as expected for the
printer.
    However, when I try to print a test page it fails and the state reported
by CUPS is

stopped
"/opt/epson-inkjet-printer-201211w/cups/lib/filter/epson_inkjet_printer_filter
failed"

Attempts to print from LibreOffice and emacs also fail.

Running system-config-printer, selecting the printer, and trying to print a
test page shows the following.

# system-config-printer
/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py:2733: GtkWarning:
Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 1:
Entity did not end with a semicolon; most likely you used an ampersand
character without intending to start an entity - escape ampersand as &amp;amp;
  frame.get_label_widget().set_use_markup(True)
/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py:2735: GtkWarning:
Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 1:
Entity did not end with a semicolon; most likely you used an ampersand
character without intending to start an entity - escape ampersand as &amp;amp;
  self.vbPOptions.pack_start (frame, False, False, 0)
/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py:988: GtkWarning:
Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 1:
Entity did not end with a semicolon; most likely you used an ampersand
character without intending to start an entity - escape ampersand as &amp;amp;
  self.PrinterPropertiesDialog.show ()

Can anyone suggest what I should do next?

For comparison I installed the printer on an SL 7.1 system and have no
problems. It works flawlessly on SL 7.1. But there are differences:
system-config-printer is a later version than on SL 6.6 and it was not
necessary to independently get the driver. The driver is available in the
standard SL7 installation.