SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2015

From:
Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:30:41 -0600
On 06/30/2015 01:46 PM, Eve V. E. Kovacs wrote:
> We have an SL6 nfsv4 file server and a number of SL6 clients.
> We were careful to configure idmapd.conf on both the clients and the server to
> have the same domain name as follows:
>
> # The following should be set to the local NFSv4 domain name
> # The default is the host's DNS domain name.
> #Domain = local.domain.edu
> Domain = localdomain
>
> All of this worked until recently.
>
> Now, when I try to change the ownership of my file 'test' on one of the
> clients, I get an error:
> chown: changing ownership of test : Invalid argument
>
> On the server, I see errors in the log file:
>  rpc.idmapd[6092]: nss_getpwnam: name [log in to unmask] does not map into
> domain 'localdomain'
>
> This problem has various solutions posted on the internet. Some solutions
> claim that all that is required is to have the same domain name on the client
> and server. We already have this, but still have a problem. Another solution
> suggests changing the local NFSv4 domain name to match the DNS domain name
> (which looks promising, given the error message above).
>
> Has anyone else had this problem and/or know the fix?

I would definitely recommend using the real domain name, but it does seem like
the client is sending the "hep.anl.gov" domain name rather than "localdomain",
and I'm not sure why that would be if it is configured as you described.
Either way *should* work.  Is kerberos involved at all?

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       [log in to unmask]