SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2015

From:
"Eve V. E. Kovacs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eve V. E. Kovacs
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:46:19 -0500
We have an SL6 nfsv4 file server and a number of SL6 clients.
We were careful to configure idmapd.conf on both the clients and the
server to have the same domain name as follows:

# The following should be set to the local NFSv4 domain name
# The default is the host's DNS domain name.
#Domain = local.domain.edu
Domain = localdomain

All of this worked until recently.

Now, when I try to change the ownership of my file 'test' on one of the
clients, I get an error:
chown: changing ownership of test : Invalid argument

On the server, I see errors in the log file:
  rpc.idmapd[6092]: nss_getpwnam: name [log in to unmask] does not map into domain 'localdomain'

This problem has various solutions posted on the internet. Some solutions
claim that all that is required is to have the same domain name on the
client and server. We already have this, but still have a problem. Another
solution suggests changing the local NFSv4 domain name to match the DNS
domain name (which looks promising, given the error message above).

Has anyone else had this problem and/or know the fix?

Thanks
Eve
Eve Kovacs
Argonne National Laboratory,